Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping dad out with a 1982 300d turbo ( orig owner 61000 miles) that is leaking coolant from some point below the water pump. I looked under the engine area and and attempted to locate the weep hole in the pump body. I did not find the weep hole or exactly where the leak is coming from. Anyway, I am going to replace the pump because the cooling fan bearing feels worn when I shake the blade. Is there anything else I should be looking for? I checked all the hose connections and they seem OK. The leak seems to be coming from the shaft pulleys located below the pump, but its hard to tell for sure. I didn't have a ramp to elevate the car and get underneath properly. I plan on taking a ride out to his house next weekend to do the repair. Any advise would be appreciated as I have never worked on a mercedes before.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nope. Sounds like the pump needs replacing. Some folks put these on a maintenance schedule, replacing them before they ever show signs of trouble. May as well replace the coolant if it has been a while. Be sure to use a recommended coolant, not the "green stuff".

Just use common sense in looking for other troubles. Belt condition, hoses, oil leaks, etc. At 61Kmi for a 21 year old, I would ask him for "first refusal" if he ever thinks about selling it. That's a great car.

Have fun tinkering! Your Dad, if like mine, will really appreciate it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts