Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a small deer about 3 weeks ago. I replaced the grill and the radiator. When I started it today (for the first time) the temp gage went to the red line. I touched the hose from the radiator and it was dead cold. In fact no heat from anywhere, but the engine. What is your guess...replace thermostat or replace water pump? Please feel free to chime in, I need some advice. Thanks

1986 300 SDL (6 cylinders :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Irishsetter48:

If you are looking for the cheapest repair, just replace the thermostat and see what she does. If your coolant pump has some miles on it (100K+), I would be tempted to go ahead and replace both. Quite a few folks replace their coolant pump as a PM measure, rather than waiting until it strands them.

I got a buck with my 300SD back in '99.

-Scott

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now what?

RivermasterNC,
I took your advice and replaced them both, I figured what the heck as long as I'm in there. Now after replacing the radiator, water pump and thermostat the engine temperature still goes to the red line and above. The hoses to the radiator are not hot, but the engine is. Where would I look next to solve the overheating problem? Any suggestions are welcome...I'm stumped on this one. Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem solved

I solved the problem by "priming" the radiator. I had filled the overflow tank to the correct line after replacing the water pump, radiator and thermostat...but it was still overheating. I disconnected the top radiator hose and noticed that no coolant was present (even when the car was running!). So I turned it off, poured a gallon of 50/50 directly into the top of the radiator through the disconnected hose. Started it up and no more overheating. My only answer is that the coolant system needed priming?!

Love the car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts