Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the way my C-Coupe stops on a dime, but this brake dust is a pain. PS, I also like the wheels, so keping them looking good is high on my list. I've been using Meguiars wheel cleaner which works well, but it seems like I need to do it at least once a week to keep the whels looking good. It's not hard to imagine that those wheel protectors could trap heat, but is this really a concern for everyday driving?

·
Registered
28 Posts
brake dust

I agree , the brake dust is a problem with the mercedes. I think for cleaning the best is car wash soluction and a soft wheel brush, sometime the product for wheels are harsh. Also they can only be used with cool wheels only.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Aftermarket pads by Potterfield and Pagid are said to have way less dust but are more expensive than and purported to be as good as OEM. $50 to $170 for the front. I know I'll try them when I need front brakes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Potterfield and Pagid

Re: "Potterfield and Pagid" Brake Pads...

Are these even available for the C230 yet? I called around everwhere, and I was told that no one makes a low-dusting pad for this car to date.

Certainly, no one is making a cermaic pad yet, though Raybestos is supposed to be the first to do so. Cermaic pads offer pros and cons.

However, the best alternative, especially if one does not want to compromise any braking performance, is to wait a couple of months until top brake maker EBC (referred by RENNtech) has their EBC "Greenstuff" pad with composite Kevlar materials. This pad will not bleed the dust until it reaches temperatures of 1000 fahrenheit, so in normal driving, dust is almost entirely eliminated.

What's more, they actually increase brake performance by up to 30% over the OE pads. (This, unlike many cermaic pads, that while reducing dusting, also may lesson performance.) Kevlar is the superior material.

The part number (back order from Tire Rack) is: DP21365. Universal part number (or "SMSI") is: D872. Tire Rack's number is: 888-541-1777. EBC themselves can be reached at 818-362-5467. However, even EBC will tell you that Tire Rack has the better price. RENNtech, the well-known MB performance shop referred me to Tire Rack to await the availability of the EBC "Greenstuff" pad.

For now, I use Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner and their Gold Class Car Wash/Shampoo & Conditioner. The MB wash and detail kits sold at the dealerships and universally are actually relabeled Meguiar's products.

I searched their page for my 2003 Sport Sedan, but all late model C230's are the same.

Review this link:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ebc/...oYear=2003&make=EBC&model=EBC+Greenstuff+Pads

Christopher

·
Registered
46 Posts
EBC Brake Pads

And, one more thing about the EBC "Greenstuff" Kevlar pads:

Besides being great for our factory alloys due to zero carbon content (carbonization, even found in OE pads can actually fade colorization on alloys), They also have the sensor device compatible with OE. Most importantly, they're only $79.00 per axle at Tire Rack.

Don't pay $150.00 to $200.00 for inferior pads. Use top Kevlar materials instead, especially at this price.

The EBC pads will be ready soon. (About 2 months - maybe less if we're all calling.) Just be careful we don't overdo it; we don't want them to run the price up to profit off our urgency, either.

Christopher

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: brake dust

tea said:
I think for cleaning the best is car wash soluction and a soft wheel brush, sometime the product for wheels are harsh.
You should also consider waxing your wheels, either with a carnauba wax, or one of the specialized wheel waxes. I saw that RainX now offers a specific wheel wax, too. The purpose, of course, is to make it easier to get the brake dust off the wheels without using harsh chemicals or abrasive brushes.

Just my $.02 while we wait for some decent pads,
Aaron

·
Registered
175 Posts
Simple Green. Spray on undilluted, use a medium brush - it falls right off. No harmful chemicals for your wheels or the earth. :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: Potterfield and Pagid

c2jones said:
Re: "Potterfield and Pagid" Brake Pads...

Are these even available for the C230 yet? I called around everwhere, and I was told that no one makes a low-dusting pad for this car to date.
Pagid and Textar were both listed on Benzbins.com site recently (front and rear), now however they have a “call for pricing and availability” notice on the front pads but not the rear.

I’m glad to see there are going to be more options in the near future. Till then I'll just keep washing the wheels and bitching.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Porterfield pads have been available for over a year. Everyone who has tried them at mbworld is happy. They report less dust on the front wheels than on the rears which are still equipped with the factory pads. Also reported are shorter stopping distances.

Textar is the OEM brand pad. Pagid is a sister brand. I have read reports of both less and more brake dust from Pagid pad. Mintex is another sister brand. I have used Mintex high performance semi-metallic pads on other cars, and was very pleased with them. They had low dust, good feel and fade resistance, and very short stopping distances compared to stock pads on those cars.

I have never heard anyone on any of the boards say anything positive about EBC Greenstuff pads except that they reduce dust. Most posters report greatly increased rotor wear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Porterfield pads

Re: Porterfield pads

Thanks a million, Lynn.

I just purchased the Porterfield pads (front & rear) from Jerry at myroadster.com. (Surely you know the history/linkages to Porterfield.)

I spent some time getting educated and comparing these carbon kevlar pads with those of EBC. I see more advantages with the former than the latter.

Indeed, consistent with what you reported, there are some setbacks with the EBC option. Surprisingly, a contact at RENNtech referred the EBC (via Tire Rack) to me. I will have to have him know what I learned in the interim from my visit there on Saturday. The Porterfield option should be the preferred one. (They even include noise-reducing treatments and processes at no extra charge.)

My parts should arrive this week (via the speed of Paypal/advanced shipping). I'll need to find a shop to do the treatment, as Jerry prescribed.

Thanks again.

Christopher

1 - 10 of 10 Posts