Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are auto cigarette lighters used most for these days? I would suggest it is used as a power supply more than anything else. When it comes to Mercedes, I guess that isn't a good idea. After trying to use mine as a power supply, it burned out the device. I took my car to my trusted Mercedes dealer and got scalded for 'stuff' inside the female part of the lighter. They told me it worked after they cleaned it out but I noticed the ring around it that lights up wasn't lit. Not trusting it, I plugged something in it that wasn't so valuable. Not to my surprise, it began to smoke (that is when I realized I still wanted that inverter). Neither the car or the inverter I plugged into the lighter blew it's fuse. So....back to the dealer. After being scalded again for the lighter not being so clean, I was told that even after replacing the lighter it would not be a good idea to use it as a power supply. I was told that those that used it to charge their cell phones or use it to power their GPS device, it would blow the fuse and may burn out the device plugged into it. I was told right out that the cigarette in my C230 was not made to power anything. This frustrates me to no end. This is a Mercedes. Anyone here have a solution for this problem? I thought of getting an adapter because they told me that the main problem is that the flaps inside the lighter are eventually bent back causing the lighter to short out. Seems it really didn't have anything to do with soda and coffee that spilled in it. What a place to put a lighter in the first place.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts