Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the BAS ESP light on my dash turns on one day next day it turns off i dont know what it means and i dibt have a owners manual some one please help :-(

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
the BAS ESP light on my dash turns on one day next day it turns off i dont know what it means and i dibt have a owners manual some one please help :-(
Well the BAS is the Brake Assist System, and the ESP is the Electronic Stability Program much like traction control. You have an intermittent problem and when the problem occurs the light comes on to warn you and a fault code is stored on the BAS or ESP computer.

When you turn the ignition off and then restart the car these two systems do a self test, this happens in micro seconds and if all is well the lights stay off and any previous fault code is deleted.

The big question is when does the light come on, ie when braking, cornering, accellerating etc, this info would give me an idea of what is going wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brake lights wont go off. I brought a brake switch and a bas module box but that didn't work. Can anyone help me?

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
My brake lights wont go off. I brought a brake switch and a bas module box but that didn't work. Can anyone help me?
You need to have the fault codes read out to find out which component is causing the problem, and second hand units, especially control units are no use as they need to be coded using Star diagnostics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BAS SAS Light

When you turned the car on did you have your foot on the brake pedal?
Hi Eric, I know this is an old posting, but I found it on Google. I have a 2000 MB C240 and this morning when I turned it on, the BAS SAS light turned on. I believe my foot was on the break when I started the car. It wouldn't allow me to take the car out of park so I turned the ignition off then turned it back on and the light had cleared. Any idea what this could mean?
Thanks in advance,
Patti

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
Hi Eric, I know this is an old posting, but I found it on Google. I have a 2000 MB C240 and this morning when I turned it on, the BAS SAS light turned on. I believe my foot was on the break when I started the car. It wouldn't allow me to take the car out of park so I turned the ignition off then turned it back on and the light had cleared. Any idea what this could mean?
Thanks in advance,
Patti
Possible faulty brake light switch which is fitted up behind the brake pedal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts