Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '93 600SL. Car is (was) perfect. I put it in for a service (basically just an oil and filter change) so that it can start of its new life being pampered. Fine, the guy tells me it's a great car, but what he'd like to do is change the "leads". He says they are still the originals and over time they corode and if anything is likely to cause it to break down this is it. He says the parts will be around $350. Anyway, to cut a long story short in order to change the leads he needs to take off the manifold (pardon my ignorance I am not a mechanic) and when they put it all back together and take it for a test run the car has no power. I drove it and it feels as slow as my old 300SL-24. It idles on 12 cylinders but when you put your foot down, it feels like it only runs on 6. They hooked it up to the computer and it all checks ok. They tried changing the accelerator module to see if that was the problem (even at $2000 for the part I was kind of hoping that was it) but it was okay. They grabbed one off another 600. The mechanic then tells me that in fact they put the car back according to factory specs but he claims the car has had its wires cut and it has been re-wired! I think this is BS to cover up for their mistakes. Anyway, can anyone suggest any options? They have had the car now for 5 days and can't fix it. I was thinking of giving them 1 more day and then getting it taken to a Mercedes dealer. It may cost me a bomb, but at least it will be fixed! :evil: :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may not wish to hear this, but it cost me $19,000 and has only done 39,000 miles. Panic is now over - they eventually traced the problem to a Catalytic converter. Now the car is fixed it scares me - I thought it was quick before...........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts