Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am averaging about 22,000 miles per set of tires, every time I complain the tire store has another reason why tires dont last on my car. This time they stated it was because it was a benz. The tires wear evenly, and are rotated every 3,500 miles. I mostly do freeway driving. Is anyone getting better mileage and what tires are you using?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have been concerned about my tires since the day I brought the car home (12/30/02). The dealer only had 19 psi in them and I immediately inflated them to spec +. I have also noticed that they don't wear very well, and with 14,000 miles I see considerable wear. I guess I'm spoiled because I traded my last car (Jetta) in on this one with the original tires and over 62,000 miles - and still had good tread left.

I also do 98% freeway driving and would gladly sacrifice the "performance" tire for something that lasts. I suppose I can resist the tempation to corner at 100 MPH and slalom between orange cones during my daily commute! :lol:

Anyone know of a GOOD long-lasting tire for the evolution wheel?

·
Registered
127 Posts
My MX4Vs seem to be wearing faster than I first thought (@12K), but they do seem to be doing so evenly. Performance tire are going to wear fast than tradition radial, it's the price you pay for the fun and confidence of driving on good tires. I to have a Jetta and the 10 sets of tires (all Michelin) I had on it over the years all lasted an average of 40K.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never run across any high performance/low profie tires that have ever lasted more than 20K-25K miles. Most don't even make it that far. Look at all of the car manufacturers disclaimers on tire performance for the high performance tires and they will say to expect significantly reduced tire life from the low profile models.

I had over 66K on a set of Michelins on my Lexus (15" factory rims). My wife just replaced a set of Dunlops with 70K on them - again on the stock 15" factory rims

·
Registered
175 Posts
If I had ordered the car, I don't think I would have gotten the evolution package (C7) in favor of the more practical all-weather tires. They are quite becoming on the car though, and I bought from dealer inventory. My previous car also had Michelins (with over 60k).

My quest I suppose will be to find a tire that fits the 17" rims, rides low, and wears great. Sort like trying to find a beer that tastes great and is less filling.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MB of Rochester MI replaced two of my Contisports for free and charged me cost for the other two at 20K miles. Another 2K and they would have been bald. I bought the car Starmark at 18K.

·
Registered
175 Posts
t7200es said:
MB of Rochester MI replaced two of my Contisports for free and charged me cost for the other two at 20K miles. Another 2K and they would have been bald. I bought the car Starmark at 18K.
Wow, nice deal. I'll be in Michigan next month... perhaps I'll look them up! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts