Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for an older MB (pre-95). I've had a 450SL and a 240D in the past. Looking in the price range of $6K - 10K. Looking for a car with nice styling lines, simple to maintain, not overly expensive parts, unique, fairly economical on fuel, maintains value, reliable enough for daily driving, etc.

Is this possible in the MB marque? If so which model(s) would you recommend?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've always been a big fan of the early 90's E classes (124 chassis). They were fairly bulletproof cars, had nice, clean lines (a sort of understated elegance) and can be had for a decent price now. The pre-purchase inspection is vital (at a Mercedes specific facility), as some of the cars have been well maintained and some haven't. Parts are going to cost more for a MB than on their domestic or asian counterparts, but the systems were not overly complex back then and could be worked on easily by an experienced DIY'er. I am definately partial to the coupe variants from those years, but only for subjective reasons. All the 124's were good cars. If budget is a concern, I woul stay away from S class cars, as they can become very costly to maintain, especially if the selling price is low. Be patient and look at a lot of cars. There are definately "diamonds in the rough" out there for good prices that have led good lives. There are also cars with shiny paint, new wax and flawless interiors that'll leak from every spot possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
what model to choose

I have just sold my 1989 W 124 230E saloon after 7 years of trouble free motoring. They are an excellent car and if you can find a good one the 260E is a very smooth engine. A full MB service history is a must.

For style the coupe version is very attractive but here in the UK they are always expensive as are the Estate versions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have to totally agree, the 124 series of the mid to late 80's is one of the finest cars benz produced, my pick would be the 300e this engine also came out with twin cam, but i would stick to the single cam and make sure you get a pre purchase inspection, also try and avoid the factory sunroof as they can be troublesome and are quite expensive to repair. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts