Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to the forum but not to benz. Just purchase a 2001 c320 for my GF, and the car had the voice control and phone system installed, but no phone. I couldn't really complain, got a very good deal. Anyway, does anyone know what I can activate, and do I actually need the handset unit? What are the options for adding a phone to the system. It looks like, and coreect me if wrong ,but only motorola handsets will work?
Does anyone know what needs to be added to get it to work? Will the voice control system work WITHOUT the phone? Radio, other things?
Where is the best place to get a phone that would work with it? A quick call to local dealer said "500$" for a unit, and maybe more. I was going to call mbusa and ask what the deal was.
thanks for the tips, and direct
STRNCM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the hardware inside phone system specific?

For example, I think the previous owner had a timeport CDMA phone. But, I would prefer using ATT service on TDMA. Is that possible? Or is there some huge hardware change internally? Antenae, connectors, amplifier?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
To the best of my knowledge there is no need to change anything but the phone.

If you have problems with getting another phone, there is a new universal phone interface coming from MB is a few months or less. It will allow the use of any phone. I don't know the cost, but expect $1500 or more. but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW!!

Wow, 1500$ just for the phone, it better be in gold.
I think I'll try to get a TDMA phone on ebay for 150.00 or so. I just want to have a phone in the car so my GF can make calls.
thanks
N

p.s. Know anywhere where I can confirm that the internal hardware, comm system and voice control system should work with Timeports, independant of TDAM, CDMA, or other system.?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Re: WOW!!

tivoboy said:
Wow, 1500$ just for the phone, it better be in gold.
I think I'll try to get a TDMA phone on ebay for 150.00 or so. I just want to have a phone in the car so my GF can make calls.
thanks
N

p.s. Know anywhere where I can confirm that the internal hardware, comm system and voice control system should work with Timeports, independant of TDAM, CDMA, or other system.?
No, no, no. I'm guessing that the new universal interface will be $1500 for the whole set up less phone. Since you already have some of it, it might be cheaper.

Try your dealer or Mercedes 800 number for info about the phone system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts