Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my wife a C230K, what is the little plastic thing on the roof in front of the sun roof for...the sales rep didn't know and the service manager didn't know.....anyone have a clue?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It is a wind deflector. In cars without it, there is a loud booming sound in the cabin at 35 to 50 mph when the roof is fully open. That little deflector eliminates that booming. If you car has the deflector, I bet it has the 1.8 badges on the front fenders.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think Lynn is correct (she always is). My 2002 gives me brain damage if the room is all the way open. Seems to be between 35-45 MPH when it's at it's worst. So bad, that I think they should retro-fit the '02's with these deflectors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Beavis said:
I think Lynn is correct (she always is). My 2002 gives me brain damage if the room is all the way open. Seems to be between 35-45 MPH when it's at it's worst. So bad, that I think they should retro-fit the '02's with these deflectors.
Oops, I meant "roof". :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Beavis said:
I think Lynn is correct (she always is).
FYI, Lynn is a guy. :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
krikzil said:
Beavis said:
I noticed they do sell a wind deflector:

http://www.mbusa.com/byo/pop_accessories.jsp?code=BQ6780022&model=C230K
That only fits the sedans and wagons. Its being listed under accessories for the coupe is just one on the numerous errors on the MBUSA web site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Lynn, that makes perfect sense...I'll let the guys at my dealer know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lynn, you also would win that bet....it does have the 1.8 badges on the front fenders...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My '03 won't have the badges or the rubber deflector thing then (from what I see in the pictures of my forthcoming car from Ebay). I wonder how easy/hard it is to retrofit the deflector ourselves if the dealer won't do it... :?:

·
Registered
17 Posts
ugly

Just was thinking, we older model owners (2002) must be so glad that we don't have that wind deflector that the new ones have. I think they're totally ugly. Besides: 1-the flush look when the sunroof is closed is loot, 2-there IS a sunroof deflector (small) that pops up when we open the sunroof, and 3 I like that strobe like booming sound.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wind Deflector

Yes, we have the wind deflector/visor on our new W203 C230 Sport Sedan. It looks great and performs as promised.

Additionally, there is no drilled holes. It uses a reverse grip mechanism to secure the unit. meaning, it can be taken off to wash, paint, etc.

We're real happy with it.

Christopher

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can also reduce the booming by turning the Automatic climate control off, and turning the fan speed UP. It won't get rid of all of it, but it does help by forcing more air pressure into the cabin through the relativly quiet vents, balancing the flow that comes in the roof.

It will only reduce it, it won't make it go away. You shouldn't need WOT on the fan, just enough to balance it out to where it reduces the noise. This should help even with the windows open.

(Of course, I'm saying that and I've got a 2003 -- YMMV!)

Aaron

1 - 20 of 30 Posts