Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a great writeup in this - http://www.benzforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3766 - thread, is this quote...

Always check the condition of the harmonic balancer anytime the hood is open (this has been well documented) on 112/113 series motors.
Can someone please explain the above.

I have just purchased a great looking, great running 2000 E320 with 90,000 on it. All service has been recorded into the owner's service record booklet up to about 60,000. Don't know what happened after that. I am the second owner after its lease to a company in Redmond, WA.

I'm not going to hold my breath in anticipation of something breaking, but I'd like to be as aware of stuff like the above quote as I can. Please help me to understand what to look for.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The harmonic balancer is part of the crank pulley. It's rubber and will wear out, causing the pulley to vibrate and spin incongruently. This, when it gets bad enough, will dig into the front cover of your engine, possibley the lower oil pan and cause big $$ damage. Basically, make sure the crank pulley spins straight when the hood is open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Pahedrus,

I'll look at it shortly.

Another item I see mentioned (by you, I think) is reference to the "MB radio keys" and the 'old MB puller hooks." I have instrument lamps out (one, I think) next to the speedometer. I mentioned that in an thread a couple of days ago. Hoping to find a way to replace it.

What on earth is the radio key? Should I have one - and if I don't, can I get one?

Thanks again, I deeply appreciate help when I need it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There's no reason you should have one over any other tool. They can be purchase from the dealer, as can the old style radio hooks. Ebay is another source, and certain stereo installation shops will also have them from time to time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... but I don't understand the term "radio key" or the other thing. What is it used for and how does that apply to trying to get access to something like lamps in the instrument cluster (speedometer/tach area)?

Sorry it doesn't compute for me but that's how some of us newcomers are sometimes.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's a key that slides into the little slots on the lower corners of your radio face to unlock the tabs that secure it into the dash. It is a removal/installation tool. On later model MBs, the instrument cluster also has the same little slots to lock them into place. Before that, clusters were removed using a set of hooks that slide between the cluster and the dash and allow you to easily pull it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts