• Any good Diesel rated Dyno Oil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a great amount of discussion and opinions on the best as well as the most practical oil for our diesels. What's your thoughts?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mobil-1 vs. Delvac-1 (also Mobil)

Heres a clip from a recent list posting from "der Dieseling Doktor" (Dr. Marshall Booth) regarding the differences between Mobil-1 and Delvac-1.

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [MB] Re: Mobil Delvac-1

> Four or 5 years ago I first brought up the question about Mobil 1 and
> Delvac 1 to a Mobil tribologist, he and his collegues agreed that they
> didn't believe there was ANY good reason to use Delvac 1 in an MB auto
> diesel. The properties that distinguish D-1 from M-1 are NOT things that
> will make any difference in light duty diesel service (and automobile
> and pickup trucks are LIGHT DUTY). That particular engineer had owned a
> 123 300TD and had used M-1 in it since new and it then had 225kmi on it
> (original timing chain still on it with less than 2 deg of chain
> stretch). He could have used ANYTHING he wanted in his car and selected
> M-1 over D-1. He put his money where his mouth was and it worked for
> him. Delvac 1 is a more sophistocated product - blended to meet needs
> that an MB diesel simply doesn't require - and isn't expected to need.
> So to the question about whether Delvac 1 is "better" oil, the answer is
> a resounding "YES it is." To the question about whether that matters,
> the answer is a somewhat less emphatic - "probably not!" I use it
> because the 5W40 viscosity seem ABSOLUTELY perfect for use in MY cars as
> a year round oil. When 0W40 becomes easily available and equavalently
> priced with M-1 15W50, I will probably use 0W40 since there seems to be
> NO need for D-1 in my cars. For now I have M-1 15W50 in one car and D-1
> 5W40 in 4. ALL run GREAT.
>
> Marshall
> --
> Marshall Booth
> "der Dieseling Doktor"
> '87 300TD 168Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 210Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 226Kmi, '85 190D 2.0
> 156Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 217kmi
> Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
> http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oil

I mirror Marshal's postion. I use M1 in all cars except my 95 which may be over kill but it is the newest and the one I pan on keeping another 10 yrs.

I do however, use Rotella T in any "new" Diesel I buy because of the high detergency, then switch to M1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Amsoil gets my vote.

I bought a 1984 190D 2.2, and changed it over to synthetic oil. I did the oil, transmission(automatic),and rear axle. The engine runs cooler,and my milage has increased! A Mercedes dealership didnt reccomend doing the transmission, but from all I have researched it runs cooler and smoother. Now the new MB use synthetic oil . I think the dealer was not up on synthetics.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Synthetic ATF's

2fast4ucars:

Welcome to the BenzForum. The dealership was correct on the transmission fluid. Standard Mercon/Dexron III. I had the same thoughts a few months ago. Here's what I learned:
>I do plan to use the Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF in the transmission, unless I can
>be convinced otherwise.
>
>-Scott
>

It's never been approved. Only Mercon/DexronIII
There is nothing that synthetic ATF will do for the transmission.
It cannot stop the clutch wear, which is really, the only thing that
wears out in the transmission.

A lot of folks think they are "upgrading" when they really aren't doing
anything but a bit of psychology. They think they are doing something
better, when in fact, there isn't anything better to be done.

While the drive to improve is usually admirable, in this case it doesn't
do anything.

Stu
-Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
oil discussion

Oh boy. Oil! Almost all the diesel lovers in San Diego go with 20W-50. They are emphatic about it. Only one exception to this rule: my mechanic whom I trust more than my HMO doctors. He (and another mechanic I know) claim the 20W-50 sold here is not rated for diesel. In addition, he said that after years of specifying 20W-50, MB changed specs to 15W-40.

I wanted to use 20W-50, and searched high and low for it in Socal. Sure I found it, but none was rated for diesel. Furthermore, in the Chilton's manual (and similar graphes in the MB owner's manuals), both oils are shown as suitable for our temperatures in SoCal. However, Chilton is emphatic that MB diesels require additives that satisfy two different rating systems. The 15W-40 has the additives, but the 20W-50 available here in San Diego does not.

I have also heard that the additives, ratings, and MB specs apply only to new cars, not to the 20+ year-old ones I have. ( I have a 1980 300SD, a 1981 D, a 1982 300 SD, and a 1982 D Turbo.) Also, knowledgeable people tell me that the additives only are necessary for high sulfur fuels that are no longer sold here.

I am concerned about the oil question and am torn between the two camps. Any ideas?
Thanks,
15de11

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
15De11:

Welcome to the benz forum!
I have also heard that the additives, ratings, and MB specs apply only to new cars, not to the 20+ year-old ones I have. ( I have a 1980 300SD, a 1981 D, a 1982 300 SD, and a 1982 D Turbo.) Also, knowledgeable people tell me that the additives only are necessary for high sulfur fuels that are no longer sold here.
My best recommendation is to stay with an M-B approved oil. Viscosity by itself tells only a small part of the story. Have you taken some time to study Wolfgang's page which lists the MB approved oils?

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

You're looking for M-B (pre-FSS) 229.3 or 229.1, or API CF-4 or CG-4. I ran dino 20W50 for years in my 300SD prior to upgrading to Mobil-1 15W50.

Most important thing to remember - change it regularly.

Sincerely,
Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rotella synthetic every 3,000 miles with filter.

When my 300sd's warenty ended (48,000) :( I would change the oil and filter (one of the few things I can do :D ) every 3,000 miles. When synthetic began to be eazy to find (Walmart 8) $12 a gallon) I changed to Rotella synthetic. I unplug it and change the oil filter and let it drain overnite. In the morning I install the plug and add the synthetic. I have 226,000 miles and never need to add oil between changes and get 2 mpg more with synthetic. The 300sd is an everyday car (for 21 years) and I have not had more then normal work done to the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It all depends. I have heard the engines before the 6cyl do not benefit from a synthetic oil, so delo 400 is a good choice because it is relatively cheap, yet good quality. But on the '87 and up, a synthetic oil can be fuly utilized, and my favorite for that is the Delvac synthetic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts