Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a new '04 C230K Sedan. They come with the following wheels and tires...

Wheels Aluminum alloy, 5-spoke design, 7.5J x 17 front, 8.5J x 17 rear.

Tires 225/45 ZR17 front, 245/40 ZR17 rear, high performance.

I don't understand exactly what that means. Is the rear wheel physically wider than the front? Is that what the 7.5 and 8.5 mean?

I really prefer the look of the 7 spoke wheels but have been told that they won't work on the new sedan because of the staggard tire and wheel setup. I have also seen in other posts about the new bigger brakes. Does that make a differance?

This is the wheel I would like to have...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was wondering too... And I want the same thing too!

I'm going to see my dealer tomorrow, I'll ask them.

About the brake, they are the same diameter, so I don't think it's a problem. If I can't have the 7 spoke wheels, I'll get the AMG, at least, they doesn't look gay!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The seven spoke wheels will bolt right on. There is no problem using them. But, you will need to use 225/45-17 tires all the way around. There is an 8.5" seven spoke wheel sold in Canada. If any one wants the part number, I know where I can get it. Just let me know you want it.

The 7.5 and 8.5 are the widths between the insides of the wheel beads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
oneoldkid said:
Tires 225/45 ZR17 front, 245/40 ZR17 rear, high performance.

225x45 ZR17
This means the width of the tire is 225mm, or 22.5cm.
The profile (or height) of the tire is 45% of 22.5cm.
ZR17 means that it's speed rating is above 149mph. This does not necessarily mean that you have "Z" rated tires though. If your car comes with the Michelin Pilot Sports, you'll notice that the tire actually says 225x45ZR17 91Y - these tires are Y speed rated (I believe up to 179mph - still faster than you'll ever go). I believe that the Z speed ratiing has 3 categories - W, Y, and Z.

You can do the same math for the rear tires...

Do you (or anyone) have a picture of the 5 spoke wheels. I think I've seen them, and I actually like them. I don't know if I'd necessarily trade for the 7 spokes if the dealer gave me the choice, but...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Performance Gains???

Has anyone driven on the new staggard wheel setup yet? My dealer tells me that there is a big performance difference. Is he pulling my leg so I won't want the new wheels?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wheels...

Those are nice wheels but they are not the ones that I would like. I think that the C7 wheels are the ones that I am talking about...I think that it is becomming too much work with my dealer to worry about it though. He assures me that the staggard wheel setup is better and better handling so I will most likely not worry about trying to switch them with the C7 wheels. I will be driving cars with both setups within the next week and I will let you all know if I notice a difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts