Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just went in for it's B sevice 35 000 Km and the dealer has told me I need new rear tires, is this normal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lynn said:
That is a little low, but a lot depends on the kind of tires you have and the way you drive.
I have Pirelli All Season low profile tires. The dealer explained that "high performance" cars (I love my C230, but I'd hardly call it a race car) need softer tires, hence they wear out quicker. As for my driving, I go about 17 000 km between services, I don't thrash this car at all. The dealer also told me it wasn't unusual to see tires replaced at 20 000 km. The service was $550.00 and the tires $480.00, I've had the car 18 months, seems a tad expensive don't you think. Thanks Lynn for the reply.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pirelli tires do have a reputation for a short life span. Guess it's true even for their all-seasons. You might want to try a different brand for better tread life. Also, dealers usually don't have the best tire prices. I wouldn't buy tires from them in the future unless it was absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 Tires & B Service cost

For Slaine,

I have a 2003 C230 and I drive much like you do, ie. not aggressively nor rough on the car. I had my Pirelli P6 all seasons replaced at 35000 KMS but NOT because they were worn out. I had a serious slipped radial belt problem. The 4 tires were replaced at no cost to me. But, they were otherwise good, tread wise and had another 20,000KMs at least left on them. If you have the Evolution package and the sports wheels they wont last as long.
2. Re the B service, I am surprised you paid 550$. That is way too much. If you had the oil/filter and filtration filter changed, the cost for about 1 1/2 hrs labour plus parts should be no more than about 250 to 300 Canadian dollars maximum. I dont know where you live but 550$(even Canadian dollars) is a lot!!
3. I will go back to Michelins after these tires, which are new right now, decide to retire.
regards,

Al
on snowy(a rare occasion)
Vancouver Island

PS: Car runs great in the snow and icy spots with P6s and the ESP, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Al, I live just outside Toronto, yes I think I was hosed, but lesson learned. I went on Pirellis web site and the P6's are have a warranty for 64 000 kms, but you have to prove you rotated the tires every 8 000 kms, wish the dealer had told me.

I think Mercedes did a great thing with this car, making it affordable to Jo public, but the cost of ownershipo is killing me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts