Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1998 C230 that had just reached 108k miles.
I am on a crossroads between keeping the car or selling it and getting a new one.
I have really long commute and was wondering if it's cheaper to buy a new car or keep this one and maintain it. However, I can no longer afford to buy another mercedes, and will have to end up with a Honda.
How many miles do C230s usually run? It's been a pretty good car since I bought it a few years ago.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The engine is practically bulletproof! The car itself and chassis is one of MB's better ones. 202's are excellent cars. But at 100k, if you haven't done much work to it, it may need alittle soon. If you still have the original transmission, expect it to be replaced sometime soon. Front lower control arm bushings are probably cracked if they haven't been replaced. But really, other than that, I think it's a great car to drive and keep!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I sort of agree. I rid myself of mine at 60K. While they are very good, especially for MB's, there are a lot of little things that can add up. This is even more true, if like Z said, you haven't done a lot to it. The control arm bushings almost for sure. I'm willing to wager your differential needs to be resealed, it probably leaking from the steering gear and the trans data port connector. I would also imagine at the very least the front ball joints and every part of the drag link and tie rod assemblies will show excessive amounts of play. Nothing life threatening, but it would be very expensive to make it right. And yeah, that dreaded 722.6 trans (I had very bed luck with mine, although not the norm at the mileage I had). If you don't have a car payment, it may not be a bad plan to keep it. i'd get to gether with your car's technician, have them do an inspection and itemize everything that needs to be done, and prioritize that list. That will give you some quantitative data with which to make the best decision. An old MB is still better than a newer Honda (from a purely subjective standpoint).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts