Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Where can I buy a scan tool for a 2005 C240?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RedLiner 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm thinking of buying a used 2005 C240 2.6L. Been working on my two Volkswagens for many years now. I believe the two most important tools are the factory service/repair manual and the software tool that interfaces with the various computers in the car (ECU, ABS, Comfort Control, etc). Is there one we can buy that's more than just a standard OBD II reader? One that's specific to Mercedes (C240) that lets us go deep?

#2 ·
Carly for Mercedes

Check this Analyser out on CNET. I purchased my `Carly for Mercedes' for iOS recently. It has a wireless dongle and an APP for IOS, which I am running on my 2014 B200 CDI. Runs great, except for the Used Car check which crashes. It also runs a dashboard of what ever parameters you want to look at, and also will log these parameters. Great value for money. Carly for Mercedes is supposed to check cars down to 2005.

#3 ·
The trick is really to get a scanner that will do the deep codes such as transmission reset etc.
Other than the $800 etc options that comes with an outdated 2nd hand laptop and, to be bought extra, expensive connectors for the round din type connector I havent found any other option. The OBD scanners only address a part of the MB error conditions and definitely wont ever help you to reset e.g. transmission errors, which is unfortunately quite important. If anyone know of recent scanners that can do that please post.

#4 ·
You're quite right about the option with a Dell or Thinkpad laptop running the SDS STAR system on Windows XP, however this is the only option if you do not want to go with the original Mercedes Benz equipment that costs thousands.

The prices for these Chinese cloned systems vary a lot, also you can find sites on the Internet that explain how to put SDS onto a more modern laptop running Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.