Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondering which engine oil (Castrol 20/50 ?) and transmission fluid should I use in my 1994 Mercedes S320? I have service records & the MBZ dealer was putting in Unocal 20/50 in the engine.

Also, I sure don't want to buy that $15 - $25 per quart Mercedes-Benz Transmission Fluid!

Suggestions??

Thanks......... Big_Bruce

·
Registered
678 Posts
Engine oil is really up to you. I'd use what's been being used in your engine lately. If it's ran synthetic all it's life, stick with synthetic. If it's ran conventional, only run conventional. The brand is really up to you (just don't use Penzoil!) Mercedes-Benz recommends Mobil 1, which happens to be what I like using. At our dealer, we use 15W-30 Castrol for conventional, and numerous different types of Synthetic, depending on the car, anywhere from 0w-40 to 5w50 in Mobil 1 or Castrol.

As far as trans fluid, you don't need the high dollar MB stuff. The reason it costs so much is because it's synthetic. Standard ATF is what was used in your car from the factory. The synthetic is required on the 722.6 and 722.9 transmissions, which they started using in 1996.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zewerr said:
Engine oil is really up to you. I'd use what's been being used in your engine lately. If it's ran synthetic all it's life, stick with synthetic. If it's ran conventional, only run conventional. The brand is really up to you (just don't use Penzoil!) Mercedes-Benz recommends Mobil 1, which happens to be what I like using. At our dealer, we use 15W-30 Castrol for conventional, and numerous different types of Synthetic, depending on the car, anywhere from 0w-40 to 5w50 in Mobil 1 or Castrol.

As far as trans fluid, you don't need the high dollar MB stuff. The reason it costs so much is because it's synthetic. Standard ATF is what was used in your car from the factory. The synthetic is required on the 722.6 and 722.9 transmissions, which they started using in 1996.
Hi Zewerr! Thanks. I'll use Castrol 20/50 in the engine. Which Dexron standard ATF fluid do you recommend?

Thanks............... Big_Bruce

1 - 3 of 3 Posts