Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ml320 upon wheel turning a whining sound. I went to the 2 dealers here and have gotten 2 different reasons. This is making me cautious. anyone ever experienced this sound before?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've experienced it plenty of times. I'm assuming your hearing your powersteering pump whine excessively. This will be caused by air entering into your pump. It can be caused by two things. Either your low on fluid, or the fluid in the reservior is turbulant. If your fluid level is ok. Start your engine. With the engine idling, pop the cap off the P/S fluid reservior and look inside. The surface of the fluid should be relatively flat, with minimal turbulance. If the fluid is gushing around, then you have a plugged filter inside the reservior. This commonly happens when a pump runs out of fluid at some point (i.e. return line popped off the radiator, causing rapid fluid loss, starving the pump). What happens during fluid loss, the pump wears out rather quickly, The metal shavings from the pump circulate through the system, and then clog the filter as it returns to the reservior. The filter is integrated into the reservior, so the reservior will need to be replaced. And, if the pump was ran dry for more than a few seconds at some point, if you never replaced it before, it should be replaced now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts