Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would parking on a hill (front up, maybe 30 degree) make an E300 hard to start? This has occured twice, the first time I attributed to fuel jelling as it was real cold, but the second time it was in the 50s. I'm also getting a slight fuel smell around the fuel filter area of the engine (no obvious leeks). Could something be leaking and draining the injectors/pump, if that makes sense. Once it starts it runs like nothing ever happened.

Starting symptoms were as follows.
1. Engine cranks but absolutely no hint of starting
2. After many restarts a slight catch or fire is noted but not running yet
3. Finally after many "close" starts it fires up and runs perfectly.

Bare in mind that I have a 98 with the auto start feature that only cranks the engine for a short predetermined period only.

Thanks for any help, Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
starting on a hill

Hello,

I have the same exact problem on my 1997 300D. If I park facing downhill, no problems. If I park facing up, same issues as you. I have changed the fuel filters, injection pump valve washers and copper seats and still, the same issue(although I did have a leak at the injector pump valves). I think maybe I need to change all the the fuel lines and hoses too. I do see some air in the lines when trying to start on a hill, so maybe that's it. But I really sont know. Any luck with solving this one on your car? Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm thinkin gravity is just sending all the fuel back into the tank. If you ever changed a fuel filter or opened up the fuel system on practically any diesel, you should know that you'll be there cranking away forever till it finally bleeds all the air out of the system, pressurizes and fires. I'm not sure whether you'd consider it normal or not to have it be hard to start on a hill though. You might want to just double check for any fuel leaks that might allow air into the system over time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's caused by an air leak in the fuel system round the injection pump. The O-rings on the various connectors flatten with age and they leak when disturbed. All the joins on the clear plastic pipe are suspect

I buy a set of O-rings from the dealer (two sizes, about £1 each) and change the whole lot. This normally does the trick

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts