Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I live on a small island in the pacific and must ship in all parts required for my car. I need help determining the widest possible tire I can fit on a 92 400E 15 inch wheel, or suggestions on alternative wheel and tire arrangement. Speed is not an issue here since speed limit is 25 mph but traction in the rain matters. The stock 195's break loose on acceleration leaving me sitting spinning my wheels. Also, is there kit or means to convert to limited slip on the drive wheels.

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi jsswords. A newbie like me :)

I don't know what size tires yor car takes, but you should really only fit the size recommended by the manufacturer to a given wheel, though you can get away with a very small variation. But the bottom line is - a wider tyre does not equate to more grip (it might do when cornering - due to something know as slip angles if I remember correctly but that's the exception). Contrary to popular belief wider tires can actually reduce grip. It has to do with the shape of the contact patch, or the actual rubber that is on the road. For a given car, the total area of the contact patch will be the same with a standard tire and the wider tire. It' s just that the shape will change. On a wider tire it the contact patch will be thinner and will for example increase the chances of aqua-planing.

I wrote a whole article on tyre sizes for a one of my previous car clubs. This subject can get quite technical. Here's a link to what I remember as being a reasonably gentle introduction - http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts