Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 300TD (was running on B100 biodiesel) which had a newly rebuilt transmission put in the month before I totalled the engine into a dump truck. ripped open the timing chain housing and cracked the air intake. bummer. rest of the car is pristine. not even the bumper was damaged as the car slid underneath the bed of the truck. I have the chance to buy a an 84 300TD that has a strong engine but a slipping tranny. Can I move the tranny from the 87 to the 84? thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The '87 has a lot more get up and go, I would just fix and keep that one. Unless theres some damage that your not telling us about. The two things you mentioned sound like easy fixes, especially compared to a full tranny swap.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome!

What needofspeed said. It is especially a shame that it happened to an '87 wagon since so few were imported that year. The intake and the timing cover should be easy to locate from a scrapyard and bolt on. What body damage is there?

As far as the swap issue goes, I really don't know. I do know they are bot 722 transmissions, but their own variations of the 722 (as in 722.xxx). The only differences might be their gearing...

Good going on the biodiesel! I have wondered about doing that coversion myself a few times.

-Neil

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. I believe the engine is totalled. it stopped immediately upon impact which leads (uneducated as I am) me to believe that the pistons are seized and broken within. the hood was ripped all the way up to the windshield and the timing chain gearing was damaged. the 87 was $7000 - the $84 is only $1000 with bad tranny (and actually for sale from same source I bought the 87 from - he says the 84 engine actually feels like a better engine to him. since the 87 had a new $2500 rebuilt tranny in it, I am hoping to transplant them, but i only want to try it if someone knows it can be done.

this is the first benz I have owned and I have to say I am now 100% sold. not only was I not scratched in the 45mph wreck, but I never even moved in the seat.

thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BIODIESEL

no changes were to the 87 running biodiesel B100 for a year other than a few filter changes at first and a couple of hoses changed out for new synthetic hoses. costs a couple hundred extra bucks a year to drive but it gets 10 miles to the gallon more than my forerunner anyway. now looking for a biodiesel king cab pick up. going 100% diesel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BODY DAMAGE

the only body damage (other than nonvisible potential frame askew)
is the hood and passanger side quarter panel - the rail to hold the radiator (and the radiator itself) are also toast. the entire rest of the car is pristine other than aforementioned frame damage that i can't see

will try to post picture of the damage. thanks for any input on what to do with this $7000 write-off.....

picture attached as file

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
IT HURTS!!! IT HURTS!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!......

8O

I hear ya on the safety issues. I have been in more than one mer-b wreck and never felt in danger.

Some cursory research tells me that the transmissions are likely not direct swaps, with possible differences in the cooling lines, speedometers, and modulators. I will follow up if I find more....

The disruption of the timing chain could have easily stopped the motor, but internal damage is a risk.
Have you considered ebay? I know I can use some interior bits. What color is your upholstery? :lol:

Seriously though, the other deal you found still might be worthwhile if the rest of the car is good. Try to get an estimate from a reputable transmission shop.

-Neil

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm -- i don't know where to start on determing whether the pistons are OK and just needs new timing chain (the chain housing is also broken). I just think the car needs to much work to justify fixing it. time and expense i'd rather buy another wagon that hasn't been in a major accident. thanks you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts