• Total voters
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?:
HI

I am just about to go ahead with the purchase of a 2001 ML270CDI here in Australia, and was wondering if anyone has had experiene using this vehicle to tow a horse float/trailer. The load will be around 2250kgs so it is within the manufacturer's specifications, but I am not sure how it will perform.

I am also concerned about the reliability of this 2001 model - there seems to be a lot of questions on the forum. 2002 and on seems OK, but how about the 2001 ?

Thanks for your help !! :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
They are decent tow vehicles (those diesels are artwork, we don't get them in MLs over here, only the 3.2 in the E). You are right to question the reliability of the vehicle, though. I feel, as a dedicated tow vehilcle, there are so many more economically feasible options available to you. The general (GM) or even ford would probably give you far better options in terms of price/power/reliability under load. Towing something of that mass places the entire driveline under extrer duress, and you really need something on a full ladder frame and some heavy duty axles to get the job done right. I am far from a proponent of the automobiles my country churns out, but for the purpose of lugging around heavy loads, they are likely to be the best bang for the buck option. The Toyota Tundras are pretty formidable little trucks, but you lose the passenger/ enclosed cargo space you would have with a comparable SUV. I would do a little more research and see if there is another vehicle that could possibley do all the things you want the ML to do. Feel free to post your thoughts back here and I would be happy to assist you in the process of picking out your ideal "beast of burdon".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts