Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I need some advice on some winter tires for my 2004 C230 Sedan, I currently have Michelin sports on there, but as we all know winter is coming up fast. I live in NY and last year was we had a rough year. What are others putting on this year?
Thanks Bottz

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI Consumer reports last test on winter tires rated the
Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2 and Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2
as the best H rated tires around. One of my friends has
the Ultra Grip's and they seem to have great traction on
ice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no big brake kit yet, working on upgrading the body and audio before we move on to that .... Let me know what you suggest please..

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't mean after market brakes. Early 2004 sports sedans have the same calipers as every other 203 except the C32. Later 2004 sports sedans are using the same large Brembo calipers as the C32 except they are a different color and have Mercedes Benz on them instead of AMG. Do you have the seven spoke wheels or the five spoke wheels.

If you have the small brakes, I recommend getting some 7J x16" wheels and 205/55-16 snow tires. If you have the big brakes, you must stay with 7.5J x 17" wheels on the front. I would recommend changing to the same size wheels on the rear in place of the 8.5" wheels. Tire size should be 225/45-17, or slightly narrower while maintaining the same circumference.

If you are going to spend a lot of time driving in deep snow, the best tires are Nokians. If you are going to do a lot of highway driving on dry or wet roads, with some driving on ice and snow, Bridgestone LM-22's are great. That is what I use. Dunlop M2 or M3 are a great tire for conditons between those extremes.

www.tirerack.com has a great tire comparison feature and reviews from satisfied or disgruntled customers. They also have many tests for the tires they sell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I checked tirerack.com and settled on the Dunlop Sport M3 snows for my E300D. Live in central Mass, near NH so I need the best. No snow yet, but these handle nicely so far. Rated the best according to testimonials at Tirerack. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
C230k sedan brake size for 16-inch tires?

I am new to this forum and I own a 2004 C230 sports sedan with the Michelin pilot sport tires (225/45-17 zr). I am also in the market for a set of snow tires. I have been considering going with 205/55-16 for my snow tires.

Lynn said:
I don't mean after market brakes. Early 2004 sports sedans have the same calipers as every other 203 except the C32. Later 2004 sports sedans are using the same large Brembo calipers as the C32 except they are a different color and have Mercedes Benz on them instead of AMG. Do you have the seven spoke wheels or the five spoke wheels.
If you have the small brakes, I recommend getting some 7J x16" wheels and 205/55-16 snow tires. If you have the big brakes, you must stay with 7.5J x 17" wheels on the front. I would recommend changing to the same size wheels on the rear in place of the 8.5" wheels. Tire size should be 225/45-17, or slightly narrower while maintaining the same circumference.
I was wondering if you provide me with some more information on how to determine if I have the small brakes or the large brakes? (I have the seven spoke wheels.)

Also, once I have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires, approximately how often will I need to have them rebalanced or is that even an issue? Please advise. (I am still "on the fence" as to whether I should buy a separate set of wheels + snow tires or just buy the 17-inch snow tires.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Since you have the seven spoke wheels, you have the small brakes. The best size snow tires for your are the 205/55-16's on 7" wide wheels.

You only need to rebalance the tires and wheels if you lose a wheel weight, or when the tires are dismount and remounted. Simply swapping from one set of wheels and tires to another does not change the balance. I have three sets of wheels and tires I swap around. I have the stock set, the snows, and a set for autocrossing. The only time I have had a rebalance is with the snows. Last spring I hit a huge pothole and the wheel weights came off, so they were out of balance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts