Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoever decides such things confused the first day of autumn with the first day of winter. I woke up to a blanket of snow over Park City, and it's coming down as I type. Colors had already changed on some trees before Labor Day. Global warming notwithstanding, I think we're in for a cold, wet winter.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I was in Laramie Wyoming a few years back and witnessed a fairly intense snowstorm on THE FOURTH OF JULY. Absolutely nutty weather up there. 40 mph winds coming over the mountains almost every day and some of the harshest winter conditions I'd ever seen. They have these ground blizzards up in the mountains where the dry powder snow whips around in little twisters and completely obscures your vision of the road. The town had railroad crossing gates at the edges of town to stop people from trying to drive anywhere during particularly bad conditions (sometimes for a week at a time).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're involved with a company in Laramie, so I go there a fair bit. Did you see the wind farm just north of I-80 about 10 miles west of Laramie? Dozens and dozens of those 200 foot windmills. Wyoming is the windiest state in the US, I think. There's also 2 or 3 spots in Central Wyoming on I-80, which is, after all, one of the main trucking arteries cross-country, where they have gates that they close shutting off the highway in both directions. Doesn't matter if you have 4wd or chains, nobody gets through.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, I lived up in the snowy range mountains for a brief stint (frustrated with being a professional in the major metros, another story), and was simply blown away (no pun intended) by that place. A town of 14,000 with college in session (there was a huge scandal about their census figures) and 27 drive through liquor stores. We used to frequent "The Ranger" and "The Library" for beers. It could definately get a little rough in those parts. Still like the wild west. Threadjack completed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
PC Dave said:
Global warming notwithstanding, I think we're in for a cold, wet winter.
While hiking last weekend at around 7,000' I was caught in an agressive snow storm. I was delighted, and had the same thought.

Snow is a whole other kind of 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts