Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiring harness

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Frank Martinez 
#1 ·
I have a Mercedes S320 1998, W140. Do I have to worry about the biodegradable wiring harness?

#2 ·
Probably, in another few decades or more... Honestly I don't know the correct answer but I would have to assume it will take quite some time to break down and would likely need a steady a supply of sunlight and/or water to assist. What I do know is I haven't noticed any issue with any wiring on any mercedes. The insulation seems like new in all the cars I've tinkered with. If you want to check I'd just find a wire somewhere and give it a feel, bend it, maybe even cut the insulation with a blade to see if it's still plasticy. I'm certain it's fine but checking will put your mind at ease. Like an interior light under the dash, or something under the hood you can see and access easily. Even if it were to start breaking down I'd imagine it's still a long way from actually being a problem because the insulation is just to keep wires from touching other wires or ground. I've had some really old cars where the insulation was brittle and would break if bent, which imo was mostly due to being near the engine or exhaust for decades, and as long as the actual wire doesn't touch, you're fine. So you'd see cracks everywhere and chunks missing all over, but there's still enough there to keep the wires apart. I've yet to see one so bad that the wires touch. Now if it's really close or touching the exhaust that's another story, but that's not normal so something caused that wire to get that close. Now rodents are another story, they'll chew the insulation off altogether and in some cases the wires touch, maybe from said chewing, and then you may have a problem. Usually when I see that I just squirt silicone sealer into the mess-o-wires to insulate them as a whole, or weave elect tape between the wires to separate them, then wrap it up as a whole. The #1 issue I see is water damage, where dirty water allows trons to flow between terminals or ground and eats away the copper, not the insulation, until it fails. Lots of headlights and tail lights since they usually get more water than anything else, but usually older and cheaper cars where they don't seal this stuff up well like Mercedes does. Battery acid is especially good at eating wiring but I doubt you have acid oozing everywhere like an old Ford. When acid gets all over I simply spray everything affected with water that has baking soda disolved in it until it doesn't foam up anymore, then rinse well with clean water and soap to get rid of the baking soda. If you're extra paranoid you can rinse with distilled water to get rid of the tap water. TMI but I was on a roll...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.