Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little dilemma....

I went to the dealer and I can get a c230 sedan with the sport package or a c320 coupe for the same price. (with the same options on each) It's a good deal, the options would cost me nearly nothing (and there's a lot of them) So I'm really interested to change my car.

But here's my dilemma. I really don't like the s/c I4 of the sedan and almost creamed my pants with the V6. But on other hand, I don't like the hatchback. Its rear part is ugly to my eyes (even inside) and is not that practical. I prefer to have 4 doors and a real trunks.

I really don't know what to choose, I passed 2 weeks to think about it and nothing came from it. Each have something I really want and something I really don't want at the same time... (And I don't have the capacity to get a c320 sedan and the c240 is a non-sense to me...) What would you do?

By the way, do you know what did Mercedes Canada to the 2004 c230 sedan to lower its price by 4500$ in comparaison with 2003? (apart taking off the sport package?)

And do you have pictures of the different shade of blue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would give lot of thought as to how badly I needed those two rear doors. I don't need them badly, so I would buy the C320C.

Which color of blue? Orion is metallic and is the lightest and brightest. Capri is also metallic and darker than Orion. Midnight is the darkest with a purple undertone (at least to my eyes) and is not metallic. You might want to look through the photo thread in the W203 forum at mbworld.org They have the largest collection of pics of the C class I know of.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not just the doors, I just think that the rear part of the hatchback is ugly... But holy sh*t! It got such a good engine!!!

I want a blue car, but I couldn't see them in real. Their "cartoon" color doesn't tell me much. So, I'd like to see all of their blue shade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome to the club.... hahaa...

I own a 2 doors now, and I just wish that I have a 4 door. Just like you, I can't afford a C320 sedan, and C240 is out of the question... and end up I got myself a 2 dr based on the economic considration... but now is wish to get a 4 dr. Well, the reason is simple enough: 4 drs sedan does look better to me. It is more partical too (well, you have a family with baby? or it is just a second car for fun?). If you have problme with the design, DO NOT buy it. You have been 'suffering' for 2 weeks already without owning it....and it will be a living hell if you 'really' own it... haha...

Good luck!

:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any aftermarket parts to get a better sound with the small I4? It's not that it don't have enough power (but some more would be appreciated at that price), but I really do hate its whining sound and I had a weird feeling about the power distribution when I tried it. It's hard to explain, but... Anyway, I don't really like this engine... :cry: But I want 4 doors.

Me thinking of looking somewhere else... :cry:

·
Registered
3 Posts
C320 Coupe

:)

I was also considering C240 sedan or C320 coupe (OK.. it's hatchback) last month.

Now, I am driving C320 coupe.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2 door or 4 door: C230/C320

Interesting exchange of ideas. Colour is a personal choice but some colours don't look good on some types of cars. I wear a lot of blue coloured clothes but don't like the C230 or C320 in blue. Personal choice! As for the 2 doors factor, consider what YOU need(note Lynn's point). If you have some ankle-biters(kids) or have to truck around your grandparents, get a 4-door. I have the coupe and love it because it is actually a hatchback, has about 1000 litres of space with the seats down(for European readers)--40 Cu ft for the rest of us and I would have to differ on this point: the rear view of the car is well integrated style-wise with the rest of the car and is, according to MOST observers, very attractive. I moved my daughter across her university campus and the car was PACKED solid.
Backing up the sucker is a challenge and the rear sides have blind spots but, just about everybody who sees our C230 loves the styling. But, it IS a question of personal choice. The supercharged twin-cam 4 is more than adequate for anyone. I don't see much advantage with the V6 in the C320 and, the two cars are pretty much the same otherwise. Believe my 44 years of driving a wide assortment of vehicles when I insist that the C230 OR C320 are as good as you can get for the bucks and, remember, down the road, you will find out how well the vehicle is screwed together and, that counts, if you keep your vehicles past the warrantee period. I kept my 300E for 16 years then sent it to my son's garage! Best wishes and enjoy your Benz. Love 'em all.

Al :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all
I can't tell you what to buy, but I am more than happy with my 2004 C230 Seadan, its Capri Blue metalic. I personally don't care for the hatchback look, or having only 2 doors. I will post a pic of it let me know what you think..
Bottz

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I bought my C230K coupe I wasn't sure how I liked the look of the back either, but it has grown on me. So much so, that I tend to think that the rear 3/4 veiw of the car is the best. I have noticed though that it depends upon the color. Mine is black, which gives it a nice consistent look. The silver ones look small. It all comes down to your personal taste... choose wisely. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stephen - Look into the color Black Opal - It is more blue than black. During the day with sun, it is a dark to medium blue and at night it looks more bluish black.

I have the 2004 C230 Sport in this color and love it. I was worried about the color because I ordered the car and now that I have it, I think it is the best blue compared to the other blues. I think the other blues are either too blue to almost purple looking.

I would go for the C230 Sport. Make sure you get the bi-xeon headlights, big difference in looks. My 2004 pics are in the photo gallery but the computer screen does not do it justice.

As far as power, for $5300 in price difference between the V6 and I4, too me it was a no brainer to go with the I4. I am very satitified with the performance, sound and feel of the car. It gets up to 100mph very quicky and has good response at high speeds. For the money, I can live without 25 HP and Torque not to mention better gas mileage.

Best of luck. - Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies!

I finally choose, I'll get a C230K sedan (not bought yet, but soon). I really don't like, but not all all the look of the rear of the hatchback. And as sschwan said, I can live without the 30hp and about the sound of the engine... Well, I'll listen my music! Anyway, I don't do sport, I like to have a good engine to pass and a good handling for emergency situation, but I'm not really into sport.

Sure, I'll get the xenon lighting, I drive a lot at night in isolated zone.

I have some more question: My dealer offered me the Tele Aid option for half the price. But it is really useful? (I already have a cell phone)

About the sound system: I'm a real music lover, I already know that the basic system s*cks. But I hadn't the chance to try the bose system. It is very very good or I should keep the basic system and upgrade it myself? (I have great expectations)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way, you car looks very nice!

But one thing bothers me about having a black/dark car. It's very hard to keep clean! Every hint of dust/dirt will show... :(

I already had a black car and god it was beautiful! But it was a piece of Hell to keep clean! :cry: And since I leave in Canada with our "great" winter, the task is even harder. Ok, it's more the $hit that they put on the road (sand-could say gravel some times, salt-calcium, etc...) than the snow. And un my area, the roads aren't really more clean in the summer.

So, what's your trick to keep your car clean, shiny and beautiful without passing 10 hours a days to clean it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stehpen - I've never had the tele-aid but I choose the options I really wanted and my personal opinion is that it is not worth the money. Just like you I have a cell phone and so does every other person that drives a car so if you are in an accident, more than likely help will be on the way. It's a personal choice but I choose to spend my money on other features.

I think the upgrade to a Bose system is really worth it. For the money I felt the quality of sound you can't beat and Bose speakers should last a long time. It was an important option for me.

As far as keeping my car clean, one I was it but we also have a guy that comes around every week to our office and for $20 US dollars he will clean the inside / outside / the works. About once a month I do that and also run the car through a touch free car wash ($2.00) when I get gas. I also keep my cars garaged and that can keep a car clean for a week or so if the weather is nice outside.

I get a lot of compliments on the car of my car and you do not see the color that often on the road. I like it because it is eligant and sharp looking. I also have had black cars and they are hard to keep clean but I find the dark blue is easier than black.

The two options I would get if I only had two choices would be the xeon headlights and bose system. Hope this helps. - Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw my dealer this morning.

The only options I'll get are:

-Heated Front Seats (Very nice when it's -40°!
)
-Bose Sound System with CD Changer? Not sure yet...
-Bi-Xenon Headlamps
-Rain Sensor Wipers (free)
-Leather Seats
-Rear Seat, Split Fold Down
-Metallic Paint
-Anti-Theft Alarm System

39,500$ (Canadian or monopoly money...) with the Bose Sound System rather than 44,005$

Good deal or I could get better?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's hard for me to tell if it is a good deal. I am in the US (North Carolina). Basically, I was able to get $1300.00 USD of the list price on the sticker. The sticker price in the US is about 7% above the price the dealer pays to MB. The dealer made about 3.5% from me. It turn out to be around $1200. If you understand exactly what the dealer is charge then determine what you think is fair and negoticate for that price.

Be patient and make sure you get exactly what you want or will regret it. Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer found a car (black opal) with exactly what I want apart for one thing. It have the automatic transmission... :(

I've never had an automatic car before. (never liked it) But I never lived with an automatic Benz. I know that many people says that their auto are better than the manual transmission, but I never tried it personnally. So what are your toughs on it. Could a guy who never liked the automatic transmissions live with it and enjoy it or it's just a no go?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is true that MB Automatics are outstanding compared to other cars. My personal opinion is that I enjoy the auto. The auto in MB really do react well to the drivers mood and will react to your current driving situation. I also like the automatic for re-sale if I ever try to re-sell the car. Most MB drivers perfer the Automatic over a manual. I think you will find selling an Automatic will be easier that a stick if you decide to sell it.

You can shift the gears with the automatics but I find the delay is too long and rarely use it.

Overall -- It's personal choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Couldn't care less about resaling the car. I kept them 10-12 years (unless they are piece of crap). I have a '91 Volvo 745ti (+210,000 miles and my best car ever!) and a '97 BMW 325i (95,000 miles), so usually, I always sell them for peanuts without too much trouble.

Anyway, about the automatic: my concern about it is that I hate the transmission that never shift at the right time (always too late or uselessly) but my real main concern is about driving in poor conditions. I'm from the "old" school, I always drove with RWD and manual transmission without electronic aids. I bother me a little bit to have a car "that react for me without telling me"...

Any toughs on it?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I had an automatic coupe for 77 days while awaiting delivery of the six speed car. I think that when the auto is placed in drive and left there, it is superb. It was well matched to the torque cuve of the 2.3, and worked great even when driven sportingly. I have heard that the auto had a tendency to hunt back and forth between gear with the 1.8 because of the narrower torque curve. This problem seems to have been reduced greatly by the use of a lower rear gear.

The problem is the manual shifting feature. Not the mechanical part, that is very good, although the side to side shifting is weird. The problem is with the control software. It has a serious lag between the time you move the lever and the time the transmission actually does something. And that something is not necessarily what you asked for. When the transmission is place in a lower gear, it will shift up at redline. I understand that MB is protection fools from their folly, but it is not what I want. The transmission should stay in the gear I told it to be in.

I didn't get to drive the auto car in truly bad weather, but I did drive it a lot on wet roads. The Electronic Stability Program can be very disconcerting when it kicks in. Especially when trying to make a left in heavy traffic. It feels like hitting a wall and like you are being stranded in front of oncoming traffic. On the other hand, ESP works great when the weather is bad. It is very hard to spin the car. Some have reported that they can't spin the car, even of snow. If you don't want ESP, there is a button to turn it off. As a matter of fact, sometimes on snow or ice it has to be tuned off to get the car to move from a dead stop. A nice feature of the auto for bad weather is a switch which will force the transmission to start in second gear.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts